BASIC RULES OF THE SEA
• Always keep a good lookout and travel at a safe speed.
• Powerboats give way to sailing vessels and rowed or paddled vessels (e.g. kayaks).
• In general, alter course to starboard (right) to avoid other vessels and keep a 50 metre buffer zone.
• When on converging courses the vessel looking at the port (left side and red light) of the other vessel gives way. Best action is to alter course to starboard and pass behind the right of way (stand on) vessel. Stop if necessary.
• All skippers should know Maritime Rule Part 22 – Collision Prevention (appended to the Bylaw or see www.maritimenz.govt.nz), like all drivers should know the road code