The two most convenient sources of marine forecasts, including the 5-day outlook are:
• VHF radio – the Maritime New Zealand maritime radio service provides forecasts announced on Channel 16 – call at 0533, 0733, 1333, 1733 and 2133 hours
• Continuous Coastguard nowcast on VHF channel 22 from Nelson
Other sources of marine forecasts include:
• MetPhone – dial 0900 999 + map area number (03)
• www.metservice.co.nz [New Zealand’s national meteorological service]
• Nelson Marine Radio on VHF channel 28
• local newspapers, but remember they can be published many hours earlier and are often out of date
• local radio stations, especially in summer
• on National Radio at 5.00 am
Sea area `Abel’ applies to Tasman Bay.
Sea area `Stephens’ is usually more applicable to Golden Bay and Farewell Spit.
Sea area ‘Grey’ applies to the western side of Farewell Spit.